CORVALLIS - Applications for Fulbright and related grants to finance graduate study or research abroad in academics or the performing or creative arts are now available, said Sue Crust, Oregon State University international student adviser.

Applicants must be U.S. citizens and hold bachelor degrees or an equivalent, but creative or performing artists can substitute four years of training or study for the degree requirement. Candidates in medicine must have professional credentials in their field.

For an application or information, contact the U.S. Information Agency, Office of Academic Programs, 301 4th St. S.W., Washington, D.C. 20547, or call the agency at 202-619-4360. Current OSU students should contact Crust , OSU Fulbright program adviser, in the Office of International Education, Snell Hall, Room 444.

Application deadlines are in October. Established in 1946 under congressional legislation introduced by former Sen. J. William Fulbright of Arkansas, the international exchange program is designed, in the words of its enabling legislation, to "increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries."

The grants enable American students, teachers, and scholars to study, teach, lecture, and conduct research abroad by paying some or all of their expenses, including supplemental health and accident insurance. Individuals are selected on the basis of academic or professional qualifications and potential, plus the ability and willingness to share ideas and experiences with people of diverse cultures.

Click photos to see a full-size version. Right click and save image to download.


Sue Crust, 541-737-6468