CORVALLIS - Oregon State University will launch the 2002-03 academic year Tuesday, Sept. 17, at its annual University Day celebration.
OSU will honor its top faculty and staff during the ceremony, which will be held at LaSells Stewart Center. Awards will be presented for teaching, service, and achievement. Displays open at 9 a.m. and the awards program will begin at 10 a.m. in the Austin Auditorium. A reception for award recipients will be held at the CH2M-HILL Alumni Center following the program.
The ceremony will include speeches by OSU President Paul Risser, Nancy Rosenberger, president of the faculty senate, and Mickey Reynolds, president of the OSU Office Personnel Association. President-elect of the Faculty Senate, Bruce Sorte, will provide opening and closing remarks and sociology professor Gary Tiedeman will moderate the event. Music will be provided by a traditional Chinese instrumental ensemble from Henan Province.
Award recipients include:
- Richard M. Bressler Senior Faculty Teaching Award - Robert J. Schultz, a professor in the Department of Civil, Construction & Environmental Engineering.
- D. Curtis Mumford Faculty Service Award - Jack Drexler, associate professor in the College of Business; and Gordon Matzke, chair in the Department of Geosciences.
- Herbert F. Frolander Graduate Teaching Assistant Award - Emily Townsend, graduate student in physics.
- International Service Award - Brent S. Steel, professor in the Department of Political Science.
- OSU Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award - Paul Farber, department chair and distinguished professor in the Department of History.
- OSU Award for Service to Persons with Disabilities - Linda Miller, administrative program specialist, Registrar's Office.
- OSU Exemplary Employee Award - Bill Oye, coordinator for Student Conduct and Mediation; and Carolyn J. Dingus, accounting technician in the Department of Rangeland Resources.
- OSU Extended Education Faculty Achievement Award - Bruce DeYoung, professor of management in the College of Business; and Mark Merickel, associate dean and executive director of Distance & Continuing Education.
- OSU Faculty Teaching Excellence Award - Heidi Brayman Hackel, assistant professor in the Department of English.
- OSU Professional Faculty Excellence Award - Viki Freeman, office manager in the Department of Horticulture.
- Outstanding Faculty Research Assistant Award - Valera Peremyslov, senior faculty research assistant in the Department of Botany & Plant Pathology.
- Elizabeth P. Ritchie Distinguished Professor Award - Corinne A. Manogue, professor in the Department of Physics.
- University Professional Development Award - Marion McNamara - resource development coordinator for International Programs.
For more information about University Day and the awards go to http://oregonstate.edu/dept/senate/uday/index.html.