CORVALLIS, Ore. – Oregon State University today honored the service of 32 leading faculty and staff members with some of its most prestigious annual awards as part of University Day, the annual kick-off of the new school year.
The awards were formally presented on Sept. 19 at a University Day-eve banquet. Honorees were recognized once again, however, during a 10:30 a.m. ceremony today at the LaSells Stewart Center in the heart of campus before an enthusiastic audience of some 1,000 faculty, staff and students.
This year’s award recipients are:
• Beaver Champion Award: Educational Opportunities Program Director Larry Griggs and Assistant Football Coach Danny Langsdorf;
• Excellence in Graduate Mentoring Award: Un-Koo Moon, professor in the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science;
• OSU Academic Advising Award: Gene Compton Newburgh, head advisor in the College of Education;
• Outstanding Faculty Research Assistant Award: Karin A. Hardin, senior faculty research assistant in the Department of Nutrition and Exercise Sciences;
• Herbert F. Frolander Graduate Teaching Assistant Award: Ryan “Tucker” Readdy from the Department of Nutrition and Exercise Sciences;
• OSU Award for Service to Persons with Disabilities: Joonkoo “J.K.” Yun, associate professor in the Department of Nutrition and Exercise Sciences;
• OSU Exemplary Employee Award (Professional Faculty): Cindy Empey, associate director of University Housing and Dining Services;
• OSU Exemplary Employee Award (Classified): Pam Scharf, office specialist for OSU Extension Service, Polk County;
• Karel J. H. Murphy Professional Faculty Leadership and Service Award: Gigi Bruce, special assistant to the Provost/Executive Vice President;
• University Professional Development Award: Kim McAlexander, head advisor in the College of Health and Human Sciences;
• International Service Award: Anuncia Escala, senior instructor in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures;
• Dar Reese Excellence in Advising Award: Linda D. Bruslind, senior instructor in the Department of Microbiology;
• OSU Faculty Teaching Excellence Award: Carmen D. Steggell, associate professor in the Department of Design and Human Environment;
• D. Curtis Mumford Faculty Service Award: John Lee; associate chair in the Department of Mathematics;
• Richard M. Bressler Senior Faculty Teaching Award: James H. McAlexander, professor in the College of Business, and Walt Ream, professor in the Department of Microbiology;
• Elizabeth P. Ritchie Distinguished Professor Award: Susan M. Shaw, director of the Women Studies Program;
• OSU Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award: Alan C. Acock, professor in the Department of Human Development and Family Sciences;
• Student Learning and Success Teamwork Award: the faculty of the Department of Design and Human Development – Leslie Davis Burns, Carol C. Caughey, Hsiou-Lien Chen, Brigette Cluver, Sandy Dawson, Marianne Egan, Minjeong Kim, Robin Lea Laughlin, Atiya N. Mahmood, Kathy K. Mullet, Elaine L. Pedersen, Mary A. Pedersen, Marilyn Read, Carmen D. Steggell.
Click photos to see a full-size version. Right click and save image to download.